Taxnorway - International pages

Apply for a new tax deduction card

Printer-friendly version

If you are a foreign national and you wish to apply for a new tax deduction card, you must appear in person at one of 42 selected tax offices for an ID check.

You must bring with you an approved identity document and other required documents. You must also deliver a correct and completed application to the tax office.

The main rule is that foreign workers who plan to stay in Norway for less than six months must have a D-number in order to obtain a tax deduction card.

ID/documentation you must bring with you:

  • Nordic nationals:
    A passport or an approved ID card (must contain the card holder’s photograph, citizenship and gender) or a valid driving licence, together with a transcript from the population register in the applicant's home country. The transcript must not be older then three months and must bear the stamp and signature of the local or national registration authority.
  • EU/EEA/EFTA nationals:
    A passport or approved ID card (must contain the card holder’s photograph, citizenship and gender. 
  • Nationals from outside the EU/EEA/EFTA area:
    A passport.

You need to bring documentation of income

In addition, you have to document your income in Norway, for example by bringing your employment agreement or a written offer of employment.

Employers have an independent responsibility for ensuring that all their employees are entitled to work in Norway. Any questions must be addressed to the immigration authorities.

You must appear in person at one of these tax offices:

Tax Norway East (Skatt øst):
Oslo, Sandvika, Lillestrøm, Gjøvik, Fredrikstad, Hamar and Tynset

Tax Norway South (Skatt sør):
Drammen, Kristiansand, Skien, Tønsberg, Gol, Lyngdal and Arendal

Tax Norway West (Skatt vest):
Førde, Sogndal, Bergen, Haugesund, Egersund, Stavanger, Nordfjordeid and Odda

Tax Norway Central Norway (Skatt Midt-Norge):
Trondheim, Ålesund, Kristiansund, Namsos, Steinkjer, Molde and Hitra

Tax Norway North (Skatt nord) :
Kirkenes, Hammerfest, Alta, Tromsø, Harstad, Bodø, Mo i Rana, Brønnøysund, Svolvær, Vadsø, Sortland, Narvik and Svalbard

Click here to see the map of the selected tax offices

The requirement to appear in person for control of proof of identity does not apply to persons whose tax office is the Central Office – Foreign Tax Affairs (SFU/2312).