Reporting a move to Norway

If you plan to live in Norway for more than six months, you must report your relocation to Norway no later than eight days after your arrival.

You do not need to tell us you move here if you will be staying in Norway for less than six months. However, you must apply for a tax card if you intend to work in Norway.  If you are commuting to a country within the EEA area, you may be exempt from the requirement to register your residential address in Norway, provided certain conditions are met. 

Reporting a change of address

Everyone who is required to report their relocation to Norway must report to one of  the 42 selected tax offices for an ID check. This also applies to Norwegian citizens who are returning to Norway. All family members must attend if you move to Norway with your family.

You will require the following documentation

The type of documentation you will need will depend on where you come from:

You can download and complete the following form in advance - Reporting a move to Norway.


You will receive a letter in the post when we have registered your move to Norway. The letter will be sent to your new address as registered with the National Registry. Remember to put your name on your new post-box.

Transcript from