Taxnorway - International pages

Tax assessment notice

Printer-friendly version

When the Tax Administration has processed your tax return, you will receive a tax assessment notice - no earlier than June. All assessed by the Central Office - Foreign Tax Affairs (COFTA) will receive their tax settlement in October.

This will tell you whether you have paid too much or too little tax. We will let you know by e-mail or text message when your tax assessment is ready.

When will I receive my money?

If you are due a refund, this will be paid out within three weeks after the date stated on your tax assessment notice. The amount will be transferred to your bank account registered with us, or paid by cheque sent to your address registered with us.

A seafarer resident abroad will only receive a payment if the refund is more than NOK 2000.

To register or change your bank account details, contact the tax collector in your municipality. If you receive your tax assessment notice from the International Tax Collection Office (ITCO), you can use the form Bank Account Details

Underpaid tax, interest and payment

If your tax assessment notice shows underpaid tax, you must pay the outstanding amount.

Registered users of our electronic services will receive an invoice for unpaid tax and other payment information in Altinn. If you are not registered as an electronic user, you will receive an invoice with payment information sent to your address registered with us.

If your underpaid tax is more than NOK 1000, you will be given two instalments. The due dates are three and eight weeks after the date stated on your tax assessment notice.  

The tax will be refunded or collected by the tax collector in your municipality

You will find bank account details for payment of tax, IBAN and BIC in the top right corner of your tax assessment notice.

I want to submit an appeal

If you believe your tax assessment notice is not correct, i.e. wrong tax class, income, wealth, deductions or calculation, you can still correct them. As an online user, you can do this on our website

Work in Norway