• Print
  • Hotel

If you have to stay in a hotel, you can claim deduction for the expenses you cover yourself. Deduction for accommodation expenses is given according to actual costs. If the living expenses exceeds 10 000 NOK annually, you must pay through a bank or by wage deduction to be entitled to a tax deduction.

Expenses for phone and internet subscription when you stay at a hotel are included in the government rates for food and minor expenses.

How to register this in the tax return?

You add the amount for accommodation to all the amounts you can claim deductions for in relation to food and accommodation expenses, and register the total amount in post 3.2.7.

Expenses for hotel 6 000 NOK x 6 months = 36 000 NOK for accommodation expenses

  Food expenses 134 000 NOK See possible deductions for food expenses
+ accommodation expenses 36 000 NOK  
= Total 170 000 NOK  

The total amount, in this case 170 000 NOK, can then be registered in post 3.2.7 in the tax return.

Log in and fill in your tax return

How to change to english version of Altinn

Required documentation

You do not need to send us documentation for this, but you must be able to present documentation if we ask for it. You must be able to document:

  1. Expenses for hotel accommodation can, for example, be documented with a bank transcript/pay slip for paid hotel accommodation (when the total annual expenses are more than 10 000 NOK).
  2. That you are married and/or have children under 22 years old. This is documented by a marriage certificate and/or birth certificate
  3. That you live with the family in your home country. This is documented by a confirmation of the family’s home address by a public authority
  4. If your spouse has an income of less than half G, you might be entitled to be assessed in tax class 2. This is documented by a confirmation from a public authority in your home country of your spouse’s income for the relevant income year.

Documentation from a public authority shall apply to the relevant income year, not be older than six months, and be translated into Norwegian or English by a publicly approved translator.

Other deductions you may be entitled to

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.