Tax-free odd jobs

What is not taxable?

  • earned income up to NOK 1,000 per year from an employer (you can have several employers per year and earn up to NOK 1 000 from each)
  • earned income up to NOK 6,000 per year if you work in the employer's home (e.g. child-minding, lawn mowing, snow clearing)
  • earned income up to NOK10,000 if the employer is a non-profit organisation (sports club, marching band etc.).


Every time you receive any pay, you must obtain a payslip from the employer. The payslip must show the pay and how much has been deducted in tax. The payslip is also a receipt for tax paid. Look after it!

Sickness benefits

If you have a job but cannot work because you are sick, you can be entitled to sickness benefits. See nav.no or contact the Labour and Welfare Service (NAV) for more information about sickness benefits.

Holiday and holiday pay

You are entitled to a holiday every year – five weeks if you are in a trade union and have a tariff agreement, and four weeks and one day otherwise. If you have a permanent post, you are entitled to three weeks' consecutive holiday between 1 June and 30 September. You are also entitled to holiday pay (10.2 per cent of your pay and 12 per cent if you are in a trade union and have a tariff agreement.) The holiday pay must be paid on the last pay day before the holiday. If you leave your job, you are entitled to have the holiday pay paid immediately.

When you leave a job

You are entitled to a written letter of reference when you quit a job. The reference must state what your work duties were and how long you were employed. It can also describe other aspects about you as an employee. Take care of it, since it may be useful when applying for another job or school.

The shortest reciprocal period of notice is one month, calculated from the first day of the month following the notice. The Working Environment Act provides protection against unfair dismissal.