Au pair in Norway

  • Print

As an au pair, you need to familiarise yourself with the rules concerning tax and residence in Norway. This brochure offers a good introduction.


Tax return

A tax return for income and wealth tax is sent to you in late March/early April and shows information from the host family about how much you have earned and how much tax you have paid in the previous year. You need to check that the pay entered in the tax return for income and wealth tax corresponds to with your payslips/notices.

At the beginning of the year, you are sent an annual statement from the bank showing how much you had in the bank at the end of the year and interest earned. You need to check the details here against your tax return to check that the amounts entered in the tax return are correct.

You are entitled to a 10 percent standard deduction on your gross income for the first two years you are tax-resident in Norway. You need to claim this yourself in the tax return. In addition, you must enter in the tax return for income and wealth tax how long you have been in Norway.

You make all changes directly in the tax return for income and wealth tax, which you need to submit by 30 April.

When you leave Norway, you must remember to notify the Tax Administration of your move abroad, with your new address.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.