• Print
  • 1 Work six months or more

You must do the following in order to work in Norway:

You must apply for a tax deduction card

If you already have a Norwegian identity number and have previously met in person for an identity check at one of our tax offices, you will not have to meet again. If so, you can send your completed application for a tax deduction card using form RF-1209 Applying for a tax deduction card for foreign citizens in the post to the Norwegian Tax Administration. Remeber to attach your employment contract or written offer of employment. You will find the correct address here.

You need a Norwegian identity number

If you have worked in Norway before, you will probably already have an identity number. A Norwegian identity number has 11 digits and may be either a national ID number or a D number.

Your employer will need your Norwegian identity number. You will also need this number as personal identification in many situations.

You must report a move to Norway

You must tell us you have moved to Norway if you plan to live in Norway for more than six months. You must meet in person at one of these tax offices and take with you:

  • Valid ID document: Passport or national ID card containing a photograph of you and stating your citizenship and gender. We will also accept a driving licence together with an extract from the national population register from the Nordic country in which you were last resident. The extract must state your citizenship and gender, and must be no more than three months old. It must also be signed and stamped.
  • Completed notification of your move using form RF-1401 Notification of move to Norway from abroad. This form is also available at the tax office.
  • Employment contract of employment for at least six months(if the date on your contract is more than 3 months ago, you need to bring confirmation from your employer that the contract is still valid). 
  • Contract for the purchase or leasing of a house for at least six months(this does not apply for children or a spouse who will be living with their parents or spouse).

If you run your own business, you need to bring documents which confirm this.

The Norwegian Tax Administration will decide whether you meet the conditions being registered as having moved to Norway. You will receive an acknowledgement in the post. If you do meet the conditions you will get a national ID number. You must use your D number as your identity number if you do not fulfill the conditions for being registered as having moved to Norway.

Special rules apply if you are commuting between Norway and an EEA country. You will receive a D number instead of a national ID number if you are classified as a commuter.


Update us on where you live

You must tell the Norwegian Tax Administration where you are living, even after you have left Norway. You are responsible that the Norwegian Tax Administration has the correct address information for you.

Government agencies in Norway use the address that is registered in the National Registry to send post to you. If the address is incorrect, you may miss important information, such as if you have paid too much tax.

Sign up as an electronic user

The Norwegian Tax Administration communicates electronically with its users. There are many benefits of being an electronic user.

How to become an electronic user.

Visit skatteetaten.no if you still have any questions. You can also telephone 800 80 000, or +47 22 07 70 00 from abroad. 

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.