• Print
  • 1 Work under six months

You must do the following in order to work in Norway:

You must apply for a tax deduction card

If you already have a Norwegian identity number and have previously met in person for an identity check at one of our tax offices, you will not have to meet again. If so, you can send your completed application for a tax deduction card using form RF-1209 Applying for a tax deduction card for foreign citizens in the post to the Norwegian Tax Administration. Remeber to attach your employment contract or written offer of employment. You will find the correct address here.

You need a Norwegian identity number

If you have worked in Norway before, you will probably already have an identity number. A Norwegian identity number has 11 digits and may be either a national ID number or a D number.

Your employer will need your Norwegian identity number. You will also need this number as personal identification in many situations.

Update us on where you live

You must tell the Norwegian Tax Administration where you are living, even after you have left Norway. You are responsible that the Norwegian Tax Administration has the correct address information for you.

Government agencies in Norway use the address that is registered in the National Registry to send post to you. If the address is incorrect, you may miss important information, such as if you have paid too much tax.

Sign up as an electronic user

The Norwegian Tax Administration communicates electronically with its users. There are many benefits of being an electronic user.

How to become an electronic user.

Visit skatteetaten.no if you still have any questions. You can also telephone 800 80 000, or +47 22 07 70 00 from abroad. 

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.