Change of ownership

  • Print

In the event of a change in owner, you must pay a re-registration fee. This fee is only paid when the car or vehicle is registered under a new owner and must not be paid when the vehicle is first registered in Norway. 

What to do in the event of a change of owner

The Tax Administration is responsible for collecting the re-registration fee, while notification of change of owner and practical matters concerning change of ownership are the responsibility of the Public Roads Administration.

After the Public Roads Administration has received notification of the sale, the new owner will be sent an invoice for payment of the re-registration fee. You can also pay the re-registration fee at the traffic station.

When the fee has been paid and all the necessary affairs are in order (EU inspection, insurance, etc.) the traffic station will issue a vehicle registration document to the new owner.

Car dealers should use Autoreg. Find out more about Autoreg from the Public Roads Administration.

Remember the annual motor vehicle tax

In the event of a change of owner, the new and previous owners must agree who will pay the annual motor vehicle tax. The invoice will be sent to the registered owner of the vehicle as at 1 January in the year which the tax concerns.

Fee exemption

An exemption can be given for payment of the re-registration fee. This applies:

  • between parents and children upon inheritance
  • upon cancellation of purchases
  • in the event of a merger between private limited liability companies 

To be granted an exemption, you must apply to the Norwegian Tax Administration, stating the reason why you believe you are entitled to the exemption.

The following exemption is processed in the self-service solution to the Norwegian Public Roads Administration (Statens Vegvesen):

  • Vehicles that have been registered for more than 30 years
  • Vehicles that have been registered on the same owner for two months or less
  • Delete the vehicle's co-owner
  • Change the vehicle's registered co-owner to the owner
  • between spouses

Paying from abroad

If you intend to pay the re-registration fee from abroad, you may need our bank account details.

Have you overpaid?

If you have paid too much re-registration tax, you can apply for a refund. You must state the registration number of the vehicle, the KID number you used and the bank account from which you paid the tax.

It is a condition that the Norwegian Public Roads Administration has already completed the re-registration, i.e that you have received the vehicle registration document made out in your name.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.