• Print
  • 1 Reside abroad for a minimum of 185 days

You can use a foreign-registered vehicle in Norway without applying for a driving permit.

This is because you have a permanent residence outside Norway.


Please note the following:

  • You must be able to prove at all times that you have a permanent residence outside Norway.
  • If your situation changes so that you are deemed to have a permanent residence in Norway, you must export or obtain customs clearance for the vehicle. However, there are some exceptions for people with a permanent residence in Norway.
  • If you do not follow the regulations, you will have to pay taxes. You may also have to pay additional tax.



The rules that apply to duty-free imports and temporary use are laid down in the Regulation relating to duty-free and tax-free import and temporary use of foreign-registered motor vehicles in Norway.

See also the Directorate of Taxes’ remarks concerning the Regulation in the the annual circular for motor vehicle registration tax for additional information.

You can also contact us.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.