• Print
  • 1 Loaned vehicle

I intend to use a foreign-registered “privately loaned vehicle”

Persons with permanent residence in Norway may use a foreign-registered privately loaned vehicle in Norway for up to 25 days in a 12-month period. The 25-day period can be divided up.

You must declare the use electronically by logging in via the ID portal.

You can change the information after it has been submitted.

You must carry the confirmation in the vehicle

The feedback you receive indicating that the information has been sent to the tax authorities will be deemed to provide confirmation that a driving permit has been issued. You must carry the permit in the vehicle.

What is a privately loaned vehicle?

The term “privately loaned vehicle” refers to a motor vehicle which is provided to private individuals either free of charge or in return for payment.

Foreign-registered rental vehicles are not considered to be privately loaned. However, there is a separate notification service for such vehicles.

You must give advance notice

The people who intend using the vehicle must notify the Norwegian Tax Administration before the vehicle is imported into Norway. Only the person or persons who have loaned the vehicle may report the use to the Norwegian Tax Administration.

Please note the following:

  • Before the end of the reported period, the borrower must re-export the vehicle.
  • If you do not follow the regulations, you will have to pay taxes. You may also have to pay additional tax.



The rules that apply to duty-free imports and temporary use are laid down in the Regulation relating to duty-free and tax-free import and temporary use of foreign-registered motor vehicles in Norway.

See also the Directorate of Taxes’ remarks concerning the Regulation in the the annual circular for motor vehicle registration tax for additional information.

You can also contact us.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.