• Print
  • 1 I intend to use a vehicle registered on Svalbard

I intend to use a vehicle registered on Svalbard

If you are a permanent resident on Svalbard and intend to go on holiday to Mainland Norway, you can apply for a permit to use a vehicle registered on Svalbard.

You can be granted a driving permit for up to three months per calendar year. You must apply for a driving permit before you take the vehicle to the mainland.

You must log in to Altinn in order to submit your application. You should allow at least 14 days for your application to be processed.

Permanent relocation

If you are moving to the mainland, you must get customs clearance and pay the appropriate duties for the vehicle.



The rules that apply to duty-free imports and temporary use are laid down in the Regulation relating to duty-free and tax-free import and temporary use of foreign-registered motor vehicles in Norway.

See also the Directorate of Taxes’ remarks concerning the Regulation in the the annual circular for motor vehicle registration tax for additional information.

You can also contact us.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.