• Print
  • 1 Temporarily reside in Norway

If you intend to reside in Norway temporarily for up to one or two years, you can use a foreign-registered vehicle during this period.

You must be able to document at all times that your period of residence will not exceed one or two years from the date of entry.  “Date of entry” means the date on which you arrive in Norway, not the date on which the vehicle is imported into Norway.

In order for your stay to be considered temporary, you must not have resided or been registered in the National Registry in Norway for more than 365 days during the two years before you arrived in Norway.

Up to one year

If you are able to prove that you will stay in Norway for up to one year, you can use a foreign-registered vehicle without applying for a driving permit.

Up to two years

If you are intend staying in Norway for up to two years, you must apply for a temporary driving permit for the second year. You must apply within one year from the date on which you arrived in Norway. You must log in to Altinn in order to submit your application. You should allow at least 14 days for your application to be processed.

More than two years

If you intend to reside in Norway for more than two years, your period of residence will not be considered to be temporary.

Please note the following:

  • At the time of your arrival in Norway and throughout your entire period of residence in the country, you must be able to prove that you are temporarily resident in Norway. This means for example that you cannot be a jobseeker at the time of your arrival.
  • If your situation changes so that you are deemed to have a permanent residence in Norway, you must export or obtain customs clearance for the vehicle. However, there are some exceptions for people with a permanent residence in Norway.
  • If you do not follow the regulations, you will have to pay taxes. You may also have to pay additional tax.

Examples of documentation

  • temporary employment contract in Norway
  • study place in Norway
  • documents indicating that you will return to work abroad (e.g. approved leave application)
  • documents indicating that you are letting your own home abroad (e.g. a rental agreement)



The rules that apply to duty-free imports and temporary use are laid down in the Regulation relating to duty-free and tax-free import and temporary use of foreign-registered motor vehicles in Norway.

See also the Directorate of Taxes’ remarks concerning the Regulation in the the annual circular for motor vehicle registration tax for additional information.

You can also contact us.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.