Amend wealth and income tax
If you discover that your 2016 or 2017 tax return has errors or omissions, you no longer need to send in an appeal to get the information corrected. Instead, you can amend the information yourself by submitting a correction.
You use this correction notice if you wish to amend your tax return for 2016 or 2017.
The option to make the changes yourself only applies from the 2016 income year onwards. Errors in tax returns for 2015 or earlier can only be amended by sending an appeal to the Norwegian Tax Administration, and not by using this correction notice.
Who can submit a correction?
You use this correction notice if you are a wage earner, a pensioner or a self-employed person.
Have you received a notification or decision from the tax office?
You may not use this correction notice if you have received a notification or decision from the tax office concerning a change to the item(s) in your 2016 or 2017 tax return that you now wish to amend yourself.
In that case, you must do as follows instead:
- If you disagree with the amendment notification you have received, you must reply to the tax office.
- If you disagree with the amendment decision you have received, you must send an appeal to the tax office.
- The deadline for submitting a correction for the 2017 income year for wage earners and pensioners is 30 April 2021.
- The deadline for submitting a correction for the 2017 income year for self-employed persons is 31 May 2021.
- The deadline for submitting a correction for the 2016 income year for wage earners and pensioners is 30 April 2020.
- The deadline for submitting a correction for the 2016 income year for self-employed persons is 31 May 2020.
How to complete the correction
- Enter your e-mail address and phone number.
- In the dropdown list, select the item category that you wish to amend or add. The dropdown list does not contain a complete list of every item in the tax return, so you need to select the relevant main category.
- Enter the amount you want to amend (wrong/missing amount) in the "endre fra" (change from) field and the amount you want to change to (the correct amount) in the "endre til" (change to) field. If you are adding a new item, enter "0" in the "endre fra" (change from) field and the new, correct amount in the "endre til" (change to) field.
- Under "Tilleggssopplysninger" (additional information), you need to give a description of the amendment you are making. Either enter the actual item number you want to change (this will be on your tax return) or type in a brief description of the type of income/deduction/capital item that the change concerns. You may also enter any other information about the change here.
- If you want to amend more items, click "Legg til ny post som skal endres" (add new item to amend) and follow the bullet points above.
There are detailed guidelines on all the items in the tax return at skatteetaten.no/finditem.
Some of the items in the tax return have mandatory attachments. If you amend any of these, you must also be sure to resend the appropriate attachment.
You cannot attach an amended Business Tax Return for sole proprietorships to the correction. Instead you must describe the change in the additional information field, or alternatively attach an income statement and the attachment forms that are affected by the change.
If you are in doubt about which attachment forms you need to resubmit, please contact us.
What will happen after you have submitted the correction?
After you have signed and submitted the correction, you will receive electronic confirmation of the submission.
The correction will then be registered by the tax office. If any amendments affect your tax, you will receive a new tax assessment within 3 months. You will not be sent a new tax assessment if the amendments do not affect your tax.