With effect from 1 October 2017, the regulations regarding how to change information in the National Registry regarding place of birth, citizenship and date of birth were changed.
Persons who are not Norwegian or Nordic citizens or citizens of EU/EEA countries
With the exception of the date of birth and place of birth of persons born in a Norwegian municipality, only the Directorate of Immigration (UDI) may process applications for changes to date of birth, place of birth and citizenship for the following persons:
- persons who have a residence permit in Norway
- persons with a case that is being considered by UDI or the Immigration Appeals Board (UNE)
- persons who have an expired residence permit
- persons who have been granted Norwegian citizenship by the immigration administration and are born in one of the following countries:
- Africa: Burkina Faso, Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Equatorial Guinea, Ivory Coast, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, South Sudan, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
- Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Philippines, India, Iraq, Yemen, Myanmar (Burma), Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Syria and Vietnam.
- Europe: Kosovo.
Have you already applied to the Norwegian Tax Administration to change your information?
If you've already submitted an application via the Norwegian Tax Administration to change information in the National Registry regarding your place of birth, citizenship or date of birth, the Tax Administration will send your application in return to you, together with all the documents you've submitted. You must send the application to UDI.
The current waiting time for responses to applications to amend information may be long. You'll be informed when UDI has processed your application.
Are you applying for a change to your information concerning date of birth, place of birth or citizenship?
If you're applying for a change to your information concerning date of birth, place of birth or citizenship, you must from now on contact UDI for information about how to proceed.
If UDI decides that information regarding your date of birth, place of birth or citizenship should be changed, they'll inform the tax office. The tax office will then change the information in the National Registry.
Norwegian and Nordic citizens and citizens of EU/EEA countries
The Norwegian Tax Administration will still process applications regarding changes to information concerning date of birth, place of birth and citizenship for the following persons:
- Nordic citizens
- Norwegian citizens, including persons who have been granted Norwegian citizenship from the immigration administration and who are not born in one of the above mentioned countries
- Citizens of EU/EEA countries
The Tax Administration will also process applications regarding change of date of birth and place of birth for any person born in a Norwegian municipality.
If you belong to one of these groups, you must send applications regarding change of date of birth, place of birth and citizenship to:
The Norwegian Tax Administration
P.O.Box 9200 - Grønland