Receiving a national identity number / residence registration in Norway

Did you receive a D number, but you believe that you should be registered as a resident in Norway with a national identity number? Then please read on to see what you have to do.

If you believe you should be registered as a resident in Norway, you do not have to go to the tax office. Instead, you must fill out and submit the notification of your move to Norway (RF-1401) and provide evidence to prove you live in Norway.

Examples of relevant evidence:

  • Evidence of a residential property for 6 months or longer: If you rent a property, you must provide a written confirmation or a tenancy agreement signed by the lessor or by the representative for the rental business. The confirmation must show that you’re a tenant and how long you'll be renting the residence.
  • Evidence of employment for 6 months or longer: An employment contract or written confirmation of employment from your employer. If your working hours vary, please also provide working schedules or time sheets showing which days you work.
  • Evidence of education/studies for 6 months or longer: Written confirmation from your place of study showing the duration of your studies.

You can also provide any other evidence showing that you intend to live in Norway for a consecutive period of at least 6 months or take up permanent residence.

Submit the form and evidence

Submit the notification of your move and evidence (in the form of supporting documents) to:

PO box 9200 - Grønland
0134 OSLO

Please write  “Notification of a move to Norway” on the envelope. You must attach a copy of valid identification. By valid identification, we mean an ID card showing your date of birth, name, signature and a photo. Do not send us a copy of your bank card as it contains sensitive information. Remember to state your D number on the form. If you’re an electronic user, you can submit the form and evidence electronically via Altinn.

The evidence must be submitted no later than 30 days from you received the D number. If you do not comply with the deadline, you must go to the tax office to notify us of your move and go through another ID control. Remember to book an appointment.