Using a foreign-registered vehicle in Norway
Find out whether you can use a foreign-registered vehicle in Norway.
The general rules are as follows:
- If you have a permanent residence outside Norway or a temporary residence in Norway, you can import and temporarily use a foreign-registered vehicle in Norway without paying taxes or duties.
- If you have a permanent residence in Norway, you can only use a foreign-registered vehicle in certain cases.
It's not always easy to know which rules apply to you. If you answer these 2–8 questions, you can find out which rules you must follow.
More about the topic
If you know which form you need to use, you can go directly to the appropriate form here:
- Kortvarig bruk av utenlandsregistrert bil i Norge
- Privat oppbevaring av utenlandsregistrert bil i Norge
- Report the use of a foreign-registered loan vehicle
- Report the use of a foreign-registered rental vehicle
- Application for driving permit during temporary stay in Norway (RF-1330)
- Application for temporary driving permit for foreign-registered company car (RF-1332)
- Application for temporary use of vehicle registered on Svalbard (RF-1334)
- Application for driving permit for temporary use of a foreign-registered vehicle in Norway (RF-1340)
Unsure which form to use? Use the wizard above to get help.
Generally, you must take your vehicle with you when you leave Norway. However, you can leave the vehicle in Norway for up to six weeks per 12 months. Such leave behind assumes that you still meet the conditions for use of a foreign-registered car during the period the car remains in Norway.
Vehicles covered by the regulations include cars, vans, motorhomes, motorbikes and all-terrain vehicles (ATV). In addition, the regulations also cover trailers and caravans, either on their own or in combination with a vehicle
Please note that you must be able to document at all times that you fulfil the conditions for using a foreign-registered vehicle in Norway. If you do not follow the rules, you must pay duty or tax, and you may have to pay additional tax.
The wizard provides general guidance based on your answers.
For more information concerning the regulations for using a foreign-registered vehicle in Norway, see: