Are you separating or divorcing?

You must be separated for one year before you can divorce. There are many financial and practical matters to consider.

You must apply for a licence to separate and divorce. The County Governor in the county where you last lived together grants this licence. The first step is to apply for separation. While you're separated, you're still legally married. Neither part can remarry while separated. After one year, one or both parties can apply for a licence to divorce.

You must do the following:

If you get back together, you must send a written notification to the Norwegian Tax Administration.

Financial and practical concerns

Whether you chose to come to an agreement while separated or when divorcing is up to you. Arrangements you make during your separation are valid even when you're divorced, unless you agree otherwise.


If you're co-owners of your home, your taxes on debt, wealth and property will be affected if you

  • sell the residence
  • buy a new residence
  • take over the joint residence
  • no longer pay the mortgage on the residence 

Make sure you amend your tax deduction card. If your tax deduction card is up to date, you can avoid underpaying tax. Remember to check the following on your tax deduction card:

  • the taxation value of your primary residence
  • debt and interest on debt
  • bank deposits and interest on bank deposits

Remember to do this for all your properties, for instance your cabin.

If you move, remember to notify us.

Spouses are free to divide their assets, wealth and debt between themselves in their tax return, as long as both spouses remember to do so. This applies as long as you're married or separated, but not after you're divorced.

When you get divorced, you must agree on who gets what. Usually, this affects wealth and debt for both parties. Remember to update your tax deduction card once you've reached an agreement.

Moving with shared children

Whom will the child/children live with? Parents who break up must agree on where the children will live permanently. Even if the children have a so-called divided residence, they must be registered with one address in the Norwegian National Registry. Remember to notify a change of address for children under 18.

Access and contact arrangement

At, you can read more about agreements for permanent residence and visiting arrangements.

Child support

Parents must support their children even though they do not live together, so you must pay child support even if your child does not live with you. Read more about the relevant rules and regulations at you receive child support, you do not have to pay tax on the payment, nor can the payer deduct the payment on their taxes.

Travel deduction

When you transport children to or from school and/or day care, this is part of your travel to work. If your commute increases, you could claim a higher deduction for travels to and from work. You must state this information in your tax return.

Single provider

Single providers are no longer in tax class 2. Instead, if you receive the extended child benefit from NAV, you get a tax deduction

Changing parental responsibility

You can change the parental responsibility by completing and submitting the Declaration for co-habitants and parental responsibility (samboererklæring/avtale om foreldreansvar) – in Norwegian onlyRead more about parental responsibility.


After the divorce, you keep the family name you had when you were married. If you want to change your name, you must submit a Change of name notification.

If you have joint income, for instance income from self-employment (such as a sole proprietorship or a private limited company (AS)) or income from letting, it's a good idea to make an agreement on how to divide this income.

Remember to amend your tax deduction card if making the change results in more or less income for you.

If you run a business together, you must remember to keep submitting all your tax returns on time. If you decide not to continue with your business, you must remember to close it down.

You can read more about maintenance payments to a spouse, also called spousal support, at

Spousal support payments are tax liable for the receiver, while the payer can deduct them.

Read more about separation and divorce at (in Norwegian only).