Order, view or change your tax deduction card
When you have logged in, you can order, view or change your tax deduction card.
If you earn NOK 65,000 or less during the year, you do not have to pay tax. In this case, you can order an exemption card instead.
Before you order or change your tax deduction card, you should have the following documentation available:
- The payslip you receive from your employer. If this is your first time ordering a tax deduction card, you must specify how much you expect to earn during the year.
- Documentation from NAV or from other pension providers.
- Documents from the bank showing your debts, interest on debts and any wealth.
What would you like to do?
- Log in, enter the relevant information, and order.
- Your employer retrieves your tax deduction card from the Norwegian Tax Administration.
This means that you’ll no longer receive it by post at your home address.
- You’ll receive a tax deduction notice.
Around five working days after ordering a new tax deduction card, you’ll receive a tax deduction notice that shows your specified income, expenses, wealth and debt. You’ll find the tax deduction notice by logging in to My tax at skatteetaten.no If you’re not an online user, we’ll send the tax deduction notice to your registered address.
- Next year, you’ll receive your tax deduction card automatically.
Every year in December, you’ll receive a new tax deduction card, which your employer will retrieve. If you have not received information about your tax deduction card by 9 January, the Tax Administration may not have sufficient information to issue one. In that case, you can order a tax deduction card and enter the information yourself.
Copies of your tax deduction card
If you need a copy of your tax deduction card, you can order it by contacting us. The copy will then be sent to your registered address.
If you’re a foreign worker, you can order your tax deduction card here.
- Log in.
- Check and, if necessary, correct the amounts specifying what you’ve earned and your deducted tax from January up until now. This information is found on your latest payslip, or you can add up the amounts on all your payslips/pension payments.
- Check and, if necessary, change the amounts for annual income, other income and deductions. All amounts must be specified for the whole year and before deductions (gross amount).
- When you’re logged in, you’ll find "Total assessed tax for 2022" at the bottom of the page.If you’ve made any changes, and if this amount differs a lot from the crossed-out amount next to it, you should submit the changes.
You can change information about for instance your income, so that your tax deduction card will be correct.
You cannot decide for yourself how much tax you’d like to pay each month. If you’d like to have more tax deducted than what is specified by your tax deduction card, you can ask your employer to do so.
How to change your tax deduction card:
- Log in.
- Check and, if necessary, correct the amounts specifying what you’ve earned and what tax you’ve had deducted from January up until the time you submit the changes.
This information is available on your latest payslip, or you can add up the amounts on all your payslips/pension payments.
- Check and, if necessary, change annual income, other income and deductions. All amounts must be specified for the whole year and before deductions (gross amount).
- Submit your changes. After the employer has reported salary for the first time for the current year, you’ll receive a percentage card, even if you usually have a table-based card.
You’ll be sent a new tax deduction notice.
The tax deduction notice is a confirmation of your changes, and you can find it by logging in to My tax at skatteetaten.no. If you’re not an online user, we’ll send the tax deduction notice to your registered address.
Your employer is notified automatically and will get access to your new tax deduction card. You do not have to give anything to your employer.
If the basis for the calculation on your tax deduction card is correct, but you still want the payer to deduct more tax, you do not need to apply for a new tax deduction card.
Contact your employer/the payroll office, or alternatively NAV/your pension provider, and ask that they deduct more tax.
Your employer/pension provider is obligated to deduct more tax if you request it.
NAV, pension providers and all your employers will retrieve your tax deduction card electronically from the Tax Administration.
If you have a table-based card, you must ensure that the table-based deduction is used only by your main employer, i.e. the one you receive the most income from. You must talk to your employers and let them know whether they’re your main employer or secondary employers. Another option is to change your tax deduction card to a percentage card.
If you receive several different benefits from NAV during the same period, make sure that the table-based card is used on only one of the benefits. You can optionally choose to change to percentage card. Here you can read more about tax deductions at NAV.
If you have many employers, you should change your tax deduction card to a percentage card.
With a percentage card, all your employers can use the same tax deduction card. If you receive more income than what is specified on your tax deduction card, you must change the card to avoid underpaying tax.
More information for you as
If you run your own independent business (a sole proprietorship), are a partner in a general partnership or have other income or wealth that is not subject to withholding tax, and you pay advance tax, you can change your advance tax. You can also ask to be charged advance tax if you have not paid advance tax before.
You’re a cross-border commuter if you
- live in a Swedish or Finnish municipality that borders Norway
- work in a municipality in Norway that borders the country where you live
All cross-border commuters receive a tax return from Norway.
As a cross-border commuter, you are not liable to tax in Norway. You are tax liable in the country where you live. However, most cross-border commuters are members of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme and have to pay contributions.
How to get a tax deduction card
If you’re a cross-border commuter, you must contact the Norwegian Tax Administration and document that you meet the requirements for being classified a cross-border commuter. Once you've done this, the Tax Administration will issue a tax deduction card for 10 percent, which is the national insurance contribution you have to pay.
Your employer retrieves your tax deduction card directly from the Tax Administration. You’ll receive information about your tax deduction card, a tax deduction notice, which will be sent to the address that's registered for you in the National Registry. You do not have to give anything to your employer.
Benefits and remunerations from NAV
The cross-border commuter provisions only apply to employment income. If you receive benefits or remunerations from NAV, or benefits or remunerations from your employer that are refunded by NAV, this income will usually be liable for tax in Norway. In this case, you must contact the Norwegian Tax Administration to get a new tax deduction card.
Exemptions from membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme
By default, the Tax Administration assumes that cross-border commuters who work in Norway are members of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme. If you work in other countries than Norway, you’re probably a member of an insurance scheme in your country of residence. In that case, you need to contact Forsäkringskassan (Sweden) or Pensionsskyddscentralen/Eläketurvaskeskus (Finland) to have your membership clarified.
If you’re not going to be a member of the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme, the national insurance authority in your home country must send a confirmation to NAV. The Tax Administration will then receive a notification about this from NAV electronically. A1 and/or other forms from other countries’ authorities are not sufficient documentation to exempt you from paying national insurance contributions.
Skattetrekksmelding og skattekort
Filmen forklarer hvorfor det er viktig at du sjekker skattetrekksmeldingen, og hvordan du søker om å endre skattekortet.
Skattetrekksmeldingen viser hvor mye skatt som er beregnet av inntekt og formue.