D number

There are two kinds of identification numbers in Norway: national identity numbers and D numbers. Which identification number you receive as a foreign person depends on your residence permit and how long you’re planning to stay in Norway.

You may be entitled to a D number if you

  • intend to stay in Norway for less than 6 months, or
  • intend to stay in Norway for more than 6 months, but do not meet the criteria for being assigned a national identity number

If you need a D number

If you need and have the right to receive a D number, the organisation that you’re in contact with will order it for you. For example, if you apply for a tax deduction card, the Tax Administration will order a D number for you.

You may need a D number if you, for example

  • are going to work or run a business
  • are an asylum seeker or person with another valid residence permit
  • receive benefits
  • are a board member in an enterprise
  • own a residential property
  • are going to open a bank account

  • The Tax Administration – for persons who are liable to pay tax and duties.
  • Norwegian Digitalisation Agency - for reporting in Altinn
  • NAV – for EEA jobseekers and/or recipients of national insurance benefits.
  • Banks, financial institutions and insurance companies – for business relationships with Norwegian banks or other financial institutions.
  • The Norwegian Central Securities Depository (VPS) – when creating a VPS account.
  • The Brønnøysund Register Centre – for registration in the Register of Business Enterprises, the Register of Legal Entities or the Register of Mortgaged Movable Property.
  • The Norwegian Mapping Authority – as the cadastral authority for the registration of real property.
  • The Norwegian Health Economics Administration (Helfo) – for asylum-seekers and NATO personnel who need a general practitioner.
  • The Directorate of Immigration, the Police Immigration Unit and the Norwegian Immigration Appeals Board – for asylum-seekers in connection with the registration of applications for protection and for other persons with a valid residence permit.
  • The Ministry of Foreign Affairs – for foreign embassy staff or foreign citizens in international organisations and intergovernmental convention bodies based in Norway that have registered with and been accepted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs under sections 1-4 and 1-5, first to third paragraphs, of the Immigration Regulations.

The D number consists of 11 digits. The first 6 digits show date of birth, where the first digit is increased by 4. For example, if you’re born on 1 January 1985, the first digits in your D number would be 410185.

If there is not an available D number for your birth date, the registration date will be used instead. For example, if your application was registered on 15 January 2020, the first digits in your D number would be 550185.

ID check and your D number

The organisation that orders a D number for you can require a verification of your identity. If so, you’ll have to book an appointment with the Tax Administration for an ID check.

You'll receive your D number by post. If the Tax Administration orders the D number for you, for example, if you're applying for a tax deduction card, you'll also receive the D number in person when you arrive at the counter for your ID check.

D numbers with the status inactive

Your D number will be given the status inactive five years after it has been assigned to you. This does not mean that the D number is invalid or deleted, but you may in some circumstances be required to have an active D number. The enterprise using your information decides whether this is a requirement.

Reactivate your D number

If you are not a resident in Norway

If the D number is set to inactive, and you want to activate or you’ve been told by others to activate your D numer again, you must book an appointment to undergo an ID check with the Tax Administration.

You cannot undergo the ID check before the D number has become inactive. This happens five years after you were assigned your D number.

Log in to see if your D number has been set to inactive or when it will be set to inactive

If you are a resident in Norway

If you are now a resident in Norway, you must not reactivate your D number. Instead, you must report a move to Norway. By resident, we mean that you stay in Norway for six consecutive months or more. If you meet the conditions to be registered as resident in Norway, you’ll be assigned a national identity number. This replaces your D number. To report a move to Norway, you must document your lawful residence and that you now live in Norway. You can read more about moving to Norway.