In Norway, we use identification numbers to identity inhabitants. Many public and private sector organisations require you to have a Norwegian identification number in order for you to gain access to their services. There are two different types of identity number: a D number and a national identity number.
- National identity numbers consist of 11 digits, of which the first six digits indicate the person's date of birth.
- D numbers also consist of 11 digits, but are temporary.
If you have a D number, but subsequently receive a national identity number, you must only use the national identity number.
In Norway, we have a national population register in which everyone who has been assigned a Norwegian identificationnumber is registered. The National Registry contains key information concerning:
- identity and citizenship
- whether people are registered as resident in Norway
- residential address
- postal address
- marital status and children
- any status of residence permit
Here at the Tax Administration, we are responsible for ensuring that the National Registry is complete and up-to-date.
Many public and private sector organisations require you to be registered as resident in Norway in the National Registry. The information is used by other organisations, including:
- the tax authorities
- the electoral authorities
- other public authorities, such as NAV, the Directorate of Immigration (UDI), the Norwegian Immigration Appeals Board (UNE), the Norwegian Armed Forces, the Norwegian State Educational Loan Fund, the Norwegian Public Roads Administration, the police and the fire and ambulance services
- Statistics Norway (SSB)
- banks and insurance companies
- private organisations and individuals
Note that being registered as resident in Norway in the National Registry is different from being considered to be a tax resident of Norway.
Do you need help? Chat with us.
For your own security, we ask you not to specify personal or sensitive information, for instance your Norwegian national identity number or health information. We currently don't offer a chat service for questions regarding value added tax, car duties and other taxes.
Opening hours: 09:00 to 15:30 on weekdays.