Changing information regarding your identity in the National Population Register
You can apply to change your registered information regarding place of birth, country of birth, citizenship and date of birth. You must send the application to either the Norwegian Tax Administration or the Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI), depending on your situation.
Where to send the application?
If your application is regarding a change of place of birth, citizenship or date of birth, special rules apply to decide if the application should be sent to the Tax Administration or the Directorate of Immigration (UDI) for processing.
The Tax Administration
The Tax Administration processes applications from the following groups:
- Nordic citizens
- Norwegian citizens, including persons granted Norwegian citizenship by the immigration administration who were not born in one of the countries referred to among the groups processed by the UDI
- Citizens of an EU/EEA country
In addition, the Tax Administration processes applications concerning changes to date of birth and place of birth for anyone born in a Norwegian municipality.
Norwegian citizen registered with unknown citizenship
For us to register your Norwegian citizenship, you must submit a personal declaration confirming that you have not acquired another country’s citizenship. The declaration must be signed by you. You must also enclose a copy of your Norwegian passport.
How to do it
If you belong to one of these groups, you must submit an application for a change of date of birth, place of birth and/or citizenship to:
Postboks 9200 Grønland
The Norwegian Directorate of Immigration (UDI)
The Directorate of Immigration (UDI) processes applications from the following groups:
Persons who have
- a residence permit in Norway
- a case being considered by the Directorate of Immigration (UDI) or the Immigration Appeals Board (UNE)
- a residence permit that has expired
- been granted Norwegian citizenship by the immigration administration who were born in one of the following countries:
- Africa: Burkina Faso, Burundi, Côte d’Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Mali, Nigeria, Republic of the Congo (RC), Sierra Leone, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Uganda and Zimbabwe.
- Asia: Afghanistan, Bangladesh, India, Iraq, Myanmar (Burma), Pakistan, Philippines, Saudi Arabia, Sri Lanka, Vietnam and Yemen.
- Europe: Kosovo.
The Tax Administration processes applications regarding changes to date of birth and place of birth for anyone born in a Norwegian municipality.
How to do it
You must contact UDI in order to find out how to proceed.
If the Directorate of Immigration (UDI) decides that information regarding your date of birth, place of birth or citizenship should be amended, they will notify the Tax Administration, which will then amend the relevant information in the National Population Register.
If you have sent an application to the Tax Administration to change information
If it is UDI that should process your application, and you have sent the application and documents to the Tax Administration, we will return everything to you. You must send your application and documents to UDI in order for UDI to process your application. Processing times are currently long. You will be notified when the Directorate of Immigration has processed your application.
Date of birth in your COVID-19 certificate
A few people will have different dates of birth in their COVID-19 certificate and passport. The Tax Administration can provide a confirmation explaining why there is a discrepancy.
If this applies to you, you may need a confirmation explaining why the date of birth in your COVID-19 certificate does not match your passport.
Contact the Tax Administration to get a confirmation.
You may also apply to register the correct date of birth in a separate field in the National Population Register.
To apply to get the correct date of birth registered in a separate field in the National Population Register, you must send us a copy of your identification, such as a passport or national ID card, and write in the application that you want to change your date of birth.
Send the application by post to:
Postboks 9200 Grønland