Change account number for tax refund payments

You can change your account number if you would like to get your tax refund deposited in a different account than the one stated in your tax return.

Log in and choose who to represent:

Change account number

Both private individuals and businesses can change their account number.

You can also change your account number if:

  • an account has not previously been registered
  • you've received a notification that the submitted account number has not been accepted


The deadline to change an account number depends on when you receive your tax assessment notice. To be sure, do it at the same time as your submit your tax return. If you’re too late, your tax refund will be deposited in the account that was stated in your tax return.

Payment into approved accounts only

The tax collector cannot make deposits to a different bank account than the one you've chosen. The accounts you can choose from in the self-service solution are normally current accounts belonging to you or your business. This ensures that the money is paid to the right person or business. You're responsible for considering the suitability of the account. Account numbers that require KID cannot be used. 

This also applies to previous tax returns

Payments following changes related to previous years' tax returns will be made to the last registered account number.

I’m unable to change

If you cannot change to your preferred account number, you must write to the tax collector in your municipality.

  • As a private individual, you must prove your identity by attaching a witnessed copy of written identification or by bringing valid identification if you attend in person.
  • For businesses, the general manager, or whoever the general manager has given authority to, must confirm in writing that the account may be used. Documentation showing that the account belongs to the company must be attached.



If the Tax Administration does not have any bank information for you or you do not have a suitable account, you’ll be sent a giro for payment. You can cash this at a post office, Post in Stores and in most banks in Norway.

Norwegian giros for payment cannot be used abroad.

If you do not want to receive a giro for payment for next year, and if the reason you’ve been sent giro for payment is that you have an account type that is not approved for payment of tax refunds, you must contact your bank and open a new account that can be used.

If the Norwegian Tax Administration does not have any bank details for you and you’re registered with a foreign address, you may receive a letter from the Tax Administration asking you to provide a bank account number or to confirm that you live at the registered foreign address. It’s important that you read and reply to the letter. You should also register your account number electronically in the self-service solution.

The Norwegian Tax Administration does not send giros for payment to foreign addresses unless you’ve confirmed that you live at the address. Please contact your tax collector if you have any questions concerning this.