The rules for VAT are generally the same for businesses and organisations. There are some exceptions for charitable and benevolent organisations.
Organisations are obliged to calculate VAT when they
- are engaged in commercial activity
- have turnover of goods and services for which VAT must be calculated
- turnover and vatable withdrawals exceed NOK 140,000
What do I have to do if I am given responsibility for VAT within an organisation?
- Find out the organisation’s turnover
- Check what types of goods and services the organisation sells and whether the sales are vatable
- Check whether the organisation is or should be registered in the VAT Register
- If the organisation is not registered: Monitor the organisation’s turnover and see whether the vatable component exceeds the threshold amount of NOK 140,000
Organisations which are registered in the VAT Register must:
- Submit a tax return for VAT every other month (new from 2017)
- Include VAT in their annual accounts
- Follow the rules that specifically apply to charitable and benevolent organisations
- Otherwise calculate and report VAT in the same way as businesses