As of 3 May 2019, parents who register the names of their children will receive a confirmation that a Norwegian national identity number and a name is registered. You’ll receive the confirmation in your Altinn inbox. In most cases, you no longer need a birth certificate with a stamp and signature.
Parents who registered names for their children before 3 May have been sent a birth certificate by post.
A confirmation of registered Norwegian national identity number and name will replace the birth certificate.
The confirmation contains information about the name, date of birth, Norwegian national identity number, gender, place of birth and possibly the names of the child's parents.
If you think you need a paper format birth certificate with a stamp and signature, you can still order a birth certificate.
Who can get a birth certificate?
Generally, you get a birth certificate if you're born in Norway. Adoptees who are born abroad can also usually get birth certificates. Others born abroad must contact the relevant authorities in the birth country.
You can order birth certificates for:
- your children under the age of 18 (if you share parental responsibility)
- your spouse, adult children or other immediate relative (you must be able to document a justifiable need for the certificate)
- a person for whom you've been appointed guardian
- a client for whom you're acting as counsel as a solicitor/lawyer
Public authorities can also order birth certificates.
If you want to order birth certificates for children, you must specify who you’re ordering for and what you need the certificate for in the field “Enquiry or Comments”.
The certificate will then be sent to your registered address. You can expect to receive the certificate after a processing period of around three days, depending on the time it takes by post. We do not send certificates via e-mail.
Do you want to order passports for children under 18?
You do not need birth certificates to order passports for children and young people.
Important information for ordering certificates
You must log in to Altinn to order:
- If you’re ordering for children, you can specify who you’re ordering for and what you need the certificate for in the field “enquiry”.
- In the same field, you can specify whether you need the certificate in English or in another language, if that’s an option.
The certificate will then be sent by post to your registered address.
- You cannot receive certificates via e-mail.
- You cannot collect certificates at the tax office.
You can expect to receive the certificate after a processing period of around three days, depending on the time it takes by post.
If you want to use the certificate abroad, you must send it to the County Governor (Fylkesmannen), who can apply an apostille to documents. Please specify in which country you want to use the certificate. Read more about apostille and legalisation
Important - when ordering certificates
You need to log in to Altinn to order.
- If you're ordering certificates on behalf of others (for instance, your children), you can use the field "Enquiry or Comments" to state the purpose of the certificate and whom the certificate is meant for.
- Here you can also state if you need the certificate in English or in a multilingual version, if the certificate exists in other languages.
The certificate will be sent to your address as registered in the National Registry.
- We do not send certificates by e-mail.
- We do not issue certificate printouts to you in person at the tax office.
Generally, processing time is 3 days after the date the request is received. In addition, your must allow for postal delivery time.
If the certificate is to be used abroad, you must send it to the County Governor to apply an apostille, and you must state which country the certificate is to be used in. Read more about apostille and legalisation.