Do you have wealth abroad?

If you're a tax resident in Norway, you'll be liable to pay tax to Norway on all your income that's earned in Norway or abroad. Provisions in tax treaties with other countries can limit the amount of tax that must be paid to Norway. The basis for wealth includes bank deposits, shares, cars and real property, etc. Read more about tax on wealth

If you only have limited tax liability in Norway, you won't be liable to pay tax to Norway for wealth abroad.

Are you a tax resident  or do you have limited tax liability in Norway? This will affect what you'll have to pay tax on in Norway.  

You'll be liable for tax on bank deposits that are placed abroad. You must state the amount in Norwegian kroner, so convert the foreign currency to Norwegian kroner. You must declare this in your tax return

If you have foreign shares, mutual fund units, outstanding claims, bonds, endowment insurance or other financial products, you must state the tax value of these assets as of 31 December. You must enter this in your tax return. 

If you've paid tax abroad on the same wealth that is liable for tax in Norway, you can claim a deduction from your Norwegian tax for the foreign tax. You must do this in your tax return. You must document that you've paid tax paid abroad.

If you're residing in another country with your family and commute to Norway in order to work, you may not be liable for tax on your income from abroad.

You'll then be a tax resident in Norway under Norwegian law, but it may be that you're considered a resident in the other country under the tax treaty between Norway and your country of residence. The tax treaty concerned may then limit Norway’s right to tax your income from abroad.

You must ask to be considered as resident in the other country under the tax treaty. You must then present a certificate of residence from the tax authorities in the other country.