The road to marriage - step by step

In this article, you can follow the formal procedure for getting married or you can go straight to the part you want to find out more about.

The road to marriage

Before you can get married, the Tax Administration must check whether you meet the conditions for entering into marriage.

The quickest way is to apply for a “certificate of no impediment to marriage” electronically, if both of you have a Norwegian national identity number or D number. You must both be able to log in with BankID, BankID on mobile, Buypass or Commfides.

The certificate is valid for 4 months.

If you wish to apply on paper instead, you must fill in the forms below and submit them collectively to:

Postboks 9200 Grønland
NO – 0134 OSLO


The procedure normally takes at least five to six weeks.

  • Personal declaration – you must fill in separate declarations.
  • Statement by the sponsor – must be completed by two sponsors/witnesses - one for each of you. It must be a person who knows you. The sponsor’s citizenship is not relevant, but he/she must be over 18 years of age. The sponsor does not have to be present when the couple enter into marriage. The form is also available in English.
  • If you're divorced according to foreign law, the divorce must be recognised by the County Governor. You can download the application form at no. The requirement for recognition does not apply if the divorce was carried out in another Nordic country, as long as both spouses were resident and had citizenships in a Nordic country at the time of the divorce.
  • Have you been married before?  If so, you must complete a declaration concerning division.
  • Changing your name? If you wish to change your name/names in connection with the marriage, a notification of change of name must be submitted along with the other documents. Fill in the change of name form.

Hvis dere heller vil gjøre det på papir, må dere fylle ut skjemaene under, og sende dem samlet til:

P.O.Box 9200 - Grønland
0134 OSLO

  • Egenerklæring – dere må fylle ut hver deres
  • Forlovererklæring – må fylles ut av to forlovere/vitner – én for hver av dere. Det må være en person som kjenner deg. Statsborgerskapet til forlover har ingen betydning, men han/hun må være over 18 år. Forlover må ikke være til stede ved ekteskapsinngåelsen. Skjemaet finnes også på engelsk.
  • For personer som er skilt etter utenlandsk rett, må skilsmissen være anerkjent av Statsforvalteren. Kravet om anerkjennelse gjelder ikke dersom skilsmissen ble gjennomført i et av de andre nordiske landene, forutsatt at begge ektefeller var bosatt og hadde statsborgerskap i et nordisk land på tidspunktet for skilsmissen.
  • Tidligere gift? Da må det fylles ut en erklæring om skifte.
  • Endre navn? Ønsker du/dere navnendring i forbindelse med vigsel, må melding om endring av navn sendes inn sammen med de andre papirene. Fyll ut melding om endring av navn.

The Tax Administration will prepare what is known as a "certificate of no impediment" if you meet the requirements to enter into marriage. The certificate of no impediment is now valid without a stamp and signature.  The certificate will be sent to one of you in Altinn. If you’ve opted out of digital communication, the bride/the youngest in a same-sex marriage will receive it in the post

The certificate is valid for 4 months.

If you do not meet the conditions for entering into marriage, you’ll receive a letter in Altinn or in the post. If you do not agree with the decision, you can appeal to the county governor where one of you lives.

The certificate of no impediment must be sent to the wedding official.

You can choose whether you send the certificate digitally or by post. The security of personal information in the certificate can be safeguarded by using encrypted e-mail or a sealed envelope.

Remember that you must agree on a time and date for the marriage with the wedding official beforehand.

You must legitimize yourselves to the wedding official by showing your passport, driver's licence or bank card with photo.


We in the Tax Administration send you our best wishes for the day and your future together!

Important information


Vi i Skatteetaten ønsker dere til lykke med dagen og fremtiden!

The wedding official will send the marriage notification to the Tax Administration within three days after the wedding.

If you've changed your name and you’re going on a honeymoon abroad, make sure that the name in your passport matches the name on your ticket. 

If the names do not match, you may experience problems when checking in. Need a new passport? Contact your local police station.

In that case, we recommend that you wait to change your name. In peak periods we need more time to process your case. And if you’re also getting a new passport, you might not have enough time. It’s not required by Norwegian law to change your name when you get married. It’s easy to change your name once you come back home.

The Tax Administration will send a confirmation to your Altinn inbox. If you’re not electronic users, the confirmation will be sent to you by post.

Note: If neither of you are registered with a national identity number, but you’re marrying according to Norwegian law, the National Population Register will send you a marriage certificate by post.