How to change your account number for credit payments

If you want the money to be paid into a different account than what you specified in your last tax return, you can change your account number electronically.

Log in and change your bank account number:

Change account number

How to do this

  • After logging in, you must choose who you’re representing if you have the option to submit a tax return on behalf of others. Click “Change account” if you’d like to have the payment made out to a different bank account number than what is specified.
  • A list of account numbers for which you’re registered as the owner will then appear. The Tax Administration obtains the account numbers that are listed from your bank. They are accounts that are valid as per 31 December.
  • Choose “none of these” if you want to use an account of yours not listed, an account at your disposal, a foreign IBAN account or a payment card.


  1. If you’re going to state an account at your disposal that you're not the account holder for, the account must have been opened before 31 December.
  2. If you're the account holder, it can be opened after 31 December.
  3. If you’re going to state a foreign account, you can only register accounts with IBAN. To register a foreign account without IBAN, you must contact the local tax collector.
  4. You can also choose a giro for payment.
  5. You cannot register an authorized account in this service.
  6. Payments following changes related to previous years will be made to the last registered account number.

If you cannot choose your preferred method, you must write to the tax collector in your municipality.


The deadline for changing the account number depends on when you receive your tax assessment notice. Make sure to do this well in advance of when you expect your tax assessment notice. If you’re too late, the money will be deposited in the account you find stated in your tax return.

If you cannot register your preferred account number electronically, you must write to the tax collector in your municipality

Payment  to approved accounts is preferred

The tax collector cannot make deposits to a different bank account than what you have chosen, or to accounts that have not been approved in advance. The accounts you can choose from in the self-service solution are normally current accounts you own. This ensures that the money is paid to the right person. If you want to use a different account, enter your account number. You must personally make sure the account is suitable for the purpose.


If the Tax Administration does not have any bank information for you or you do not have a suitable account, you’ll be sent a giro for payment. You can cash this at a post office and in most banks in Norway.

Norwegian giros for payment cannot be used abroad.

If you do not want to receive a giro for payment for next year, and if the reason you’ve been sent giro for payment is that you have an account type that is not approved for payment of tax refunds, you must contact your bank and open a new account that can be used.

If you've closed your account and not changed the account by the relevant deadline, the tax collector will attempt to make a payment into the closed account. The tax collector will then be informed that the account cannot be used and will pay the amount again to a different account registered for you or send you a giro for payment. This could delay the payment.

Many spouses have a joint account. However, the bank will only register one of the spouses as the account holder. Usually, the spouse who only has the right of disposal cannot use this account for tax refunds. You can use the self-service solution to change to another account at your disposal.

If the Norwegian Tax Administration does not have any bank details for you and you’re registered with a foreign address, you may receive a letter from the Tax Administration asking you to provide a bank account number or to confirm that you live at the registered foreign address. It’s important that you read and reply to the letter. You should also register your account number electronically in the self-service solution.

The Norwegian Tax Administration does not send giros for payment to foreign addresses unless you’ve confirmed that you live at the address. Please contact your tax collector if you have any questions concerning this.

The tax collector can change the account for payments under certain conditions.

You must provide a written and signed request.

You must prove your identity by attaching a witnessed copy of written identification or by attending in person.

In addition, you must own the bank account or have it at your disposal. You must be able to confirm this.