Tax refund

If your tax assessment indicates that you get a tax refund, this means that you have paid too much tax and will receive a refund.

Payment date

If you've overpaid tax and are due a refund, the money will be transferred to your account shortly after you’ve received your tax assessment notice. 

Amounts under NOK 100 will not be refunded.

Bank account

The tax return you received in March/April will state the account where we'll pay your refund. If you have not specified an account, we'll send you a giro for payment in the post to the address registered in the National Registry.

If you register your account in Skatteetatens selvbetjeningsløsning, this will be updated the next day. If you submit information about your account by letter or e-mail, the processing time will be much longer. If you do not have a Norwegian bankID, you can log in with ID- porten and change the account.


Interest is added at the rate of 2.15 per cent per year, calculated from 1 July in the income year until the tax settlement notice is sent to the taxpayer the following year.

You can change the account number yourself if you need to. Be sure to make the change as soon as possible in order to get the refund in the right account.

When you have received your tax assessment from the International Tax Collection Office

If you have received your tax assessment from the International Tax Collection Office, and you don't have an electronic ID, you can use the form Bank Account Details to change your bank account number.

If the refund amount shown on your tax assessment notice differs from the amount you actually received, this may be because the tax authorities has offset outstanding claims against the amount you were owed.

This is a settlement method whereby two claims are offset against each other.

You'll then receive a letter stating the amounts that have been reclaimed through offsetting.

If you owe:

  • tax or interest on overdue payments for previous years,
  • tax to other municipalities, or
  • have unpaid maintenance contributions, value added tax, inheritance tax, property tax, or
  • have other arrears to the state or municipality, e.g. fines or municipal taxes,

the Norwegian Tax Administration (or other authorities that administers such claims) may cover their claims by offsetting them against your tax refund.

If you have any questions concerning this, contact the tax office.

Slik endrer du kontonummer for utbetaling

Filmen viser hvordan du sjekker hvilket kontonummer vi har registrert på deg og hvordan du registrerer eller endrer ditt kontonummer for utbetaling av skatt tilgode.