Marriage with a foreign citizen

  • Print

If you are getting married to a foreign citizen in Norway, he or she must submit documentation to the Tax Administration.

If you are marrying a foreign citizen who has a permanent residence permit in Norway, the procedure is the same as when two Norwegian citizens marry.

A foreign citizen without a permanent residence permit in Norway must submit the following documentation to the Tax Administration: 

  • Personal declaration
  • Statement by the sponsor
  • Declaration concerning division - if he or she has been married before.
  • In the case of people who are divorced according to foreign law, the divorce must be recognised by the county governor. The application form for this can be downloaded at The requirement for recognition will not apply if the divorce was carried out in another Nordic country, provided that both spouses were resident and had citizenship of a Nordic country at the time of the divorce.
  • Documentation of name and age, for example passport or birth certificate. The documentation must consist of original documents or a copy certified by a Norwegian public authority.
  • A certificate from the home country and alternatively the most recent country of residence, showing that there is no impediment to him or her entering into marriage in Norway. The certificate must be no more than four months old. Translation may be necessary unless the certificate is written in English, Danish or Swedish. The certificate must be the original and legalized/applied to apostille (confirming that a public official's signature on a document is genuine and that the signatory has the stated authority).

    If the certificate is translated, both the original certificate and the translated version of the certificate must be submitted. 

Citizens from countries outside the Nordic region must present documentation (only in norwegian) which shows that they are legally resident in Norway (only in norwegian). The documentation must consist of original documents or copies certified by a Norwegian public authority.

Documentation from a country outside the Nordic region must be legalised or endorsed with an apostille by the authorities in the country in which it was issued.

Send the documentation to the tax office which covers the person who is resident in Norway.

Did you find what you were looking for?

Maks 255 tegn. Kun tall og bokstaver.