Advance tax for private individuals

If tax is not deducted on your taxable income or wealth, you must usually pay advance tax. This can apply to private individuals with high wealth or income from which no tax has been deducted, for instance, high rental income or gains on shares that you’ve sold.

You must also usually pay advance tax if you carry out business activity as a sole proprietorship.

What would you like to do?

If you're a private individual with great wealth or high income from which no tax has been deducted, for example in the form of high rental income or gains on shares that you’ve sold, you can: 

When completing the application form

You must enter the amount of income or wealth for which you must pay advance tax. We’ll calculate the amount of advance tax you must pay.
If you don’t know the exact amount of income/wealth, you must estimate as best you can. Also check that the other information about income and deductions is correct. Examples of other information are employment income and interest on debt.

Those who pay advance tax usually receive a payment form four times a year. You’ll receive these in your Altinn inbox.

If you've not received an invoice, you can find the account number and create a KID number.

Payment deadlines

  • 15 March
  • 15 June
  • 15 September
  • 15 December

Make sure you pay your advance tax before the deadline

When an instalment is not paid by the payment deadline (the due date), the advance tax for the entire year must be paid. This means that the entire advance tax for the current year can be collected by attachment proceedings or deductions from your salary, pension or benefits. Interest on overdue payments is charged in addition. Interest accrues from the due date and until the payment has been made.

We will then send you a notification.

How much advance tax do you have to pay?

You're obliged to pay advance tax based on expected income and/or wealth. 

On the application form, you’ll see the calculation of advance tax and any percentage rate for the tax deduction card at the bottom of the page.

The Norwegian Tax Administration uses the information about your income and wealth from the previous tax assessment to calculate your advance tax.

If your income or wealth is lower or higher than expected, you should change your advance tax to avoid paying too much or too little advance tax.

You must estimate the amount of income or wealth you expect to have this year as best you can. Also check that deductions are listed correctly.

More information about advance tax

You can adjust the allocation between advance tax and tax deductions. For example, you can adjust to a higher tax deduction on your employment income and lower advance tax amount, or vice versa. You cannot change the advance tax amount so that it’s lower than what you’ve already paid in advance tax this year. Adjustments between advance tax amounts and percentage tax deductions do not change the total calculated tax this year.

You must log in to make adjustments to advance tax and tax deductions. When you’re logged in, you’ll find the field for adjusting the advance tax at the bottom of the page - see below.

Endring av forskuddsskatt.png

View the amount you have paid in advance tax 

You can check how much you’ve paid in advance tax by logging in to View your claims and payments

You'll receive one total advance tax amount, one tax return and one tax assessment. 

Previously, your advance tax, tax return and tax assessment was issued from every municipality in which you were tax liable. Now, you’ll receive one claim that comprises all your tax affairs.

If you have any questions about advance tax, or if you want to apply to change your advance tax, print form RF-1102 and send by post to:

Postal address:
Postboks 9200 Grønland
0134 OSLO

Print form RF-1102 - Application to change tax deduction card/advance tax

The paper form contains a range of items. You only have to fill in the items that are relevant for you.


Her kan du se en liten film som forklarer: 

  • om du skal betale forskuddsskatt
  • hvordan du søker om forskuddsskatt
  • hvor du finner betalingsinformasjon