Exemption card – order and split between employers

If you earn NOK 70,000 or less during the year, you do not have to pay tax.

About exemption cards

If you are over 13, you’ll automatically receive an exemption card. You do not have to order an exemption card.

Do you already have an exemption card? If you believe you’ll earn more than NOK 70,000 this year, it’s important that you order a tax deduction card. That way you do not have to pay tax at a rate of 50 percent.

If you have more than one employer, you must remember to split the tax-free amount.

Choose what you want to do:

  • The card is only available electronically.
  • You must log in with an electronic ID
  • Parents may not order exemption cards on behalf of their children.
  • The exemption card can only be used by persons staying in Norway through a full year.

You have to log in. Remember to split the exemption card if you have several employers.

Order an exemption card

  • Log in.
  • Find the name of the company you’ll be working for in the list.
    If you cannot find the name in the list, you must ask them to order your exemption card.
  • Enter how much money you think you’ll earn from this employment.
    If you have more than one job, you must split the tax-free amount so that it is no more than NOK 70,000 in total. That means you have to reduce the amount for one employer in order to allocate more to another. If you’ve already earned money from an employer, you cannot allocate less than this amount to this employer.
  • Enter the amount in the field next to the relevant company.
  • Click to submit.

You can do this several times a year, for instance if you get a new job or if you earn more than you thought you would from an employer.

You can also:

Specific information for:

Children under 13 can earn up to NOK 10,000 tax free during one income year.

The employer must get permission from the Norwegian Labour Inspection Authority in advance, and parents or guardians must order an exemption card or tax deduction card.