Ordering an exemption card

An exemption card is a tax deduction card that shows that your employer does not need to deduct tax if you earn less than NOK 55,000.

If you had an exemption card last year and earned less than NOK 55,000, you do not need to apply for a new one. The exemption card will already be available to your employer.

You have to log in. Remember to split the exemption card if you have several employers.

Order an exemption card
  • You can order an exemption card from the year in which you turn 13.
  • You must be an online user.
  • You must place the order in your own name, using your own PIN codes. 
  • Parents may not place orders on behalf of their children.

Different rules apply if you’re under 13 years of age.

If you earn more than NOK 55,000

If you’ll earn more than NOK 55,000, you must order a tax deduction card. If you have had an exemption card and earned money without deducting tax, the amount you’ve already earned must be included in the basis for calculating your new tax deduction card. Whether or not you’ve had an exemption card, your total tax will be the same.

Not an online user? 

Then you must first get an online ID. You cannot order by telephone.

ID-porten is a common log in solution to public services. You can use the solution to for instance submit your tax return or change your tax deduction card.

You can log in to ID-porten using MinID, BankID (from 18 years), Buypass or Commfides.

Problems logging in or registering?

You can get help at the Agency for Public Management and eGovernment (Difi).


Young people, work and tax

The following rules apply for foreign workers.