Two foreign citizens intending to marry in Norway

If you wish to get married in Norway but do not have a permanent residence permit here, you must submit documentation to the Tax Administration.

You will need the following documentation:

  • Separate personal declarations
  • Statement by the sponsor – must be completed by one person on each side (best man and maid of honor)
  • Declaration concerning division – if either of you have been married before. In the case of people who are divorced according to foreign law, the divorce must be recognised by the county governor. The application form for this can be downloaded from The requirement for recognition will not apply if the divorce was carried out in another Nordic country, provided that both spouses were resident and had citizenship of a Nordic country at the time of the divorce.
  • Documentation of name and age, for example passport and birth certificate. The documentation must consist of the original documents or copies certified by a Norwegian public authority. When using a passport as documentation, we ask that you submit a copy certified by the Norwegian public authority, and not an original passport. The birth certificate must be legalized or applied to the apostille stamp.
  • A certificate from the home country, or alternatively the most recent country of residence, showing that there is no impediment to you entering into marriage in Norway. The certificate must be no more than four months old. Translation may be needed if the certificate is not in english, danish or swedish. The certificate must be the original and an apostille stamp.
  • Citizens from countries outside the Nordic region must submit documentation (only in Norwegian) showing that they are legally resident in Norway (only in Norwegian). The documentation must consist of original documents or copies certified by a Norwegian public authority.

Documentation from a country outside the Nordic region must be legalised or endorsed with an apostille by the authorities in the country in which it was issued. It's five to six weeks of processing.

Where should I send the documents?

The Norwegian Tax Administration
P.O.Box 9200 - Grønland
0134 OSLO

Bigamy is a punishable offence under Norwegian law. The same applies to marriage with anyone under 16 years of age or aiding and abetting such marriage. Marriages where both parties are not physically present during the wedding ceremony are also not permitted.

A marriage will also not be recognised if the marriage is obviously incompatible with the Norwegian legal system.

All this will also apply if the marriage has been entered into abroad and one or both parties have an affiliation to Norway.

Rare exceptions only

At the request of both parties, the marriage may still be recognised if there are compelling reasons for recognising the marriage. This is a restrictive exemption provision which is practised very strictly. It is therefore rare for such a marriage to provide a basis for a family reunion.

Applications for recognition must be sent to the Directorate for Children, Youth and Family Affairs, who will also provide guidance on the matter.

For more information, see the government's brochure on rules for marriage abroad.